Tuesday 24 February 2009

The Chooks!

In answer to your questions ladies - they were due to start laying around the end of January ... we are now nearing the end of February so I think that I am being really patient. I have threatened them nicely with the freezer several times but in a calm and loving manner :-) I realise that it has been hot for the most part of February but we did have a cooler week in there - maybe it wasn't long enough to get them excited about laying eggies. I now even have a variety of plastic eggs in their laying boxes for them to give them a hint - they are slow catching on! lol

They are treated to all sorts of scraps, mixed grains and laying pellets and now also have free range of the yard (except days when we are not here and of course night time due to foxes). Jessie is over chasing them and doesn't worry about them at all anymore. Chases other birds away from them if anything.

I've never had hens so young before. I don't think we are doing anything wrong ... just maybe being impatient!

Does anyone have any suggestions?

2 comments:

Pat (mspfd) said...

No suggestions. I'll have to ask Kelly.

Deborah said...

Get a couple of old time chooks that are currently laying so that they can mentor and model for the young"ens". :)